If your identity is stolen:
- File a report at the
Australian Cyber Security Centre.
- Contact the three major Australian credit reporting agencies
and obtain a free copy of your credit file.
- Place a ban on your credit file
with those agencies — this can stop criminals accessing credit in your name.
- Advise your bank and review your security arrangements.
- Update your online banking, email and other passwords —
use unique passwords for each account.
- Set up multi-factor authentication —
where possible don't just use SMS, use something like an
This is to limit the damage done by
SIM swaps and phone porting.
- Monitor your phone closely —
it suddenly stops working it may have been ported.
- Contact IDcare —
they have trained counsellors who can support you.